Welcome to Teddy Pickle - the blog that, above all, strives to be both relevant and irrelevant at the same time.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

antichrist

 SPOILER ALERT! (ahhh i've always wanted to say that...)

With my love of all things provocative and disturbing, I decided to watch Lars Von Trier's Antichrist last night. I went into it knowing that there was a very controversial scene involving a pair of scissors and some lady-bits, which both impelled and repelled me. When something does that, pushes you away and pulls you in at the same time, you know you have to watch.

I've been all about religious imagery lately, and Antichrist is dripping with it. I think there's always something fascinating in using the concepts we were taught as kids and turning them on their head to challenge our perceptions of human nature.

 The very confronting opening sequence gives Psycho's famous "shower scene" a run for its money.

If you haven't seen the film - do yourself a favour and grab a copy. You'll never look at a pair of scissors in the same way again and you may be robbed of sleep for a night or two, but it's truly a beautifully-shot film with some really challenging themes.

This infamous scene made me laugh and scared the shit out of me at the same time. Genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment