Welcome to Teddy Pickle - the blog that, above all, strives to be both relevant and irrelevant at the same time.

Friday, August 20, 2010

teddy pickle vs the world

I recently did myself a favour and saw Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. In short, it's fantastic and you MUST see it. And for those who've seen it - it made me want to turn Vegan (giving up meat, eggs, dairy, etc. in exchange for rad psychic powers? I'm in!)


But i'll avoid turning this post into a big gushing ramble about how much I loved it. Instead, let's get conceptual, baby.

In the film, Scott has to defeat his new love interest's "seven evil ex's", in thrilling comic-book style. Between geekin'-out about the cool cartoonish fight scenes, I got thinking about the nature of relationships and the idea of the "evil ex".

 

Relationships sure are fun at the time, but once the shit inevitably hits the fan (once again, i'm a child of divorce - let me be cynical of relationships) it's hard not to join the ranks of the "evil ex's". The mutual, unmessy break-up is just about as rare as an unembarrassing Tony Abbott TV appearance. It's pretty inevitable that at some point, we'll adopt the role of the spurned lover. And me being my easily-jealous self (I almost stabbed a person on a neighbouring table in a restaurant with a fork because I liked the look of their linguine), I know that one day i'll be that sad, ugly, vengeful ex-boyfriend.

So watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment